It seems like every week, new home gadgets are hitting the market. From energy efficient light bulbs to solar powered chargers, the name of the game is to find more and more ways to reduce carbon footprints. And while some of these gadgets can be a little pricey, there are plenty of affordable options available as well.
With smart home automation, smartphones take us to a different level of convenience, comfort, and security. With the application of IoT (internet of things), smartphone apps allow us to monitor and control our entire house easily. Even when we’re away from home.
What are the advantages of having a smart home?
Automate your home systems. Integrating smart technology into your home enables you to program your lights, thermostat, appliances, and security systems to operate automatically. For instance, setting your lights to auto turn on when there’s a person in the room and auto shut off when no one’s there. You can also set a desirable temperature in your thermostat device to maintain a comfortable atmosphere in the room. If you have smart appliances, you can program them to perform tasks at a specified time. Like setting your smart kettle to boil water at 5am. Or program the water sprinklers to spray at 4pm to automatically water the plants. Home security systems can auto send notifications to your phone for unusual activities.
Control home systems and appliances at your fingertips. A smart home allows you to manage all your electronic devices through your smartphone. Forgot to lock the door? Lock or unlock it using your phone. Wondering who’s buzzing the doorbell? Check and talk to the person without stepping out of your room.
Reduce energy consumption. Automation avoids unnecessary energy usage such as leaving the lights on when there’s nobody in the kitchen or in other parts of the house. Being able to control appliances and home systems especially when you are not at home also saves energy.
Improve home security. Smart homes can connect to surveillance cameras, automated door locks, smart door bells, and motion detectors throughout your house. Which you can monitor and control on your mobile phone. You can set security alarms to alert your phone when a threat is detected and have real-time monitoring of your home whether you’re at home or halfway around the world.
So what are some of the best environmentally friendly gadgets for the home? Here are just a few examples:
1. Smart thermostats: Smart thermostats like the Nest Learning Thermostat can help reduce energy costs by automatically adjusting temperatures based on usage and other factors. Plus, they come with plenty of customization options so you can choose exactly how much energy you want to save.
2. Solar powered phone chargers: Solar powered cell phone chargers are great for when you’re out and about and don’t have access to a traditional outlet. Not only do they provide an eco-friendly way to keep your battery charged, but they can also look pretty cool too!
3. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs): These CFLs use up to 75% less energy than regular incandescent light bulbs, making them an ideal choice for anyone looking to cut down on their electricity bill. Plus, they last up to 10 times longer than regular bulbs.
4. Programmable water valves: Programmable water valves are a great way to reduce the amount of water you use without compromising your comfort. They allow you to set specific times when the water is turned on and off, so you don’t have to remember manually turning it off every time you leave the house.
5. Insulated windows: If you live in a cold climate, insulated windows can help keep warm air inside and cool air out during the summer and winter months respectively. This will save energy costs over time and helps keep everyone in the family comfortable around the house.
These are just a few of the many environmentally friendly gadgets available for the home. In the long term, investing in eco-friendly technology is not only good for the environment, but it’s also cost effective for your wallet! So take some time to plan out what’s best for your family’s usage and switch to energy-efficient gadgets for your smart home.