Window Terminology for Custom Designs

New windows for your home or office can be a great improvement and enhance the aesthetics of your home style. Don’t forget to check with your property management company about window restrictions for apartments, or with your local municipality if you live in a house.
Before you head out to the stores or to your local curtain manufacturer, understand some of the basics of this specialty industry, as there is a plethora of terminology. It can easily seem complicated, especially if you’re doing it for the first time, so check with your local municipality or property management company to find out what’s allowed. Sometimes they will give you a list of approved designs, which will narrow down the options for you.
Any reputable interior design company or window wholesaler will take the time to explain these terms and concepts to you. So it’s always a good idea to call them first and tell them what you’re looking for. To give you an overview of some of the most common terms that will help you decide what you need, here is a brief overview of the different types of windows.

Modern spacious room with large panoramic window

Window types explained: 

Awning: This is a type of window that, when open, pushes out at the bottom. This is a great style because it keeps rain or snow out while simultaneously lets outdoor air in.

Casement: This style of window opens by handle in the same way a door would. It is similar to an awning window except the panel is vertical and it is better for cross ventilation.

Bay: A set of windows that offers a panoramic view. These are typically three windows set together, the middle being the largest while two smaller windows on either side are angled to create a slight curve.

Bow: This is the same style and number of windows as a Bay window, except all windows are the same size.

Double-Hung/Glider: This window has two moving parts. The top sash can slide down and the bottom sash can slide up. This allows only opening the top of the window, bottom of the window, or a little of both.

Egress: A type of window that is large enough to allow anyone to enter or leave through it. This is required by building code in bedrooms and basements. Typically, the size requirements are at minimum 20 inches wide and 24 inches high.

Fixed: A window that does not open. Sometimes these are windows that double up to fit the air-conditioning unit for flats and condominiums.

Garden: A favorite in kitchens, these glass top windows protrude outward with a seatboard for plants, photos, and more. At times, each side window can be designed to open like a Casement.

Hopper: Similar to a Casement window, except the crank is at the top and the user pulls the window inward and down to open it. These are popular windows because they allow fresh air in while blocking debris.

Horizontal Slide: A window where a single or double pane of glass slides open horizontally.

Single-Hung: Similar to the Double-Hung, only a single sash will slide to open, usually the bottom sash opening up.

Modern stylish trendy minimalism kitchen living room with large round table

Start typing and press Enter to search

Shopping Cart

No products in the cart.

error: Content is protected
Decor Works